Do you have a wet basement?
FOUNDATION 101: It is always recommended to repair your foundation from the exterior
SIGNS OF A PROBLEM
If you are experiencing any of these problems, it is highly recommended that you rectify the situation sooner rather than later. Do it for your property value and, most importantly, your family’s health and safety.
- A properly waterproofed basement will tremendously increase your home’s market value. If it is or will be finished then the value just went up even more!
- Canadians spend 90% of their time indoors so the quality of indoor air is very important
- People will do anything to live in optimal health and this is a great start! If you are healthy and want to keep it that way or if you are constantly sick, developing allergies, irritated, or developing any form of health discomfort that you did not have before, there is a very good chance that your basement or crawlspace has something to do with it. Fixing it will go a long way towards achieving your health goals!
- You can finish your basement and transform it into a bright, warm, liveable space for your family. Your living space will be increased by 33%!
- If your basement is already finished, you can now rest assured that your investment will be protected and will never leak again
- If you want to keep your basement unfinished, you can now use it as a big storage area and save yourself a lot of room upstairs
- If you are planning on finishing your basement, it is important to note that foundation problems are much easier and less costly to fix before the basement space has been renovated. Homeowners may be wise to waterproof their walls even if there are no visible issues yet
- If you are planning on selling your home, the potential buyer’s home inspector is trained to spot foundation problems before anything else. You will then be forced into a bargaining match that you did not plan for and will either lose the sale, have to fix it in a rush or end up being forced to sell it for a significantly lower price. Historical data shows that people are unwilling to buy a home with any form of basement leak problems. Resale value will likely fall by 25% if these issues are not properly rectified.
- On the other hand, if you properly waterproof your home then, you will be able to sell at a much higher premium because you will most likely have one of the only properly waterproofed homes in your entire area!
- If you sell your home and it leaks shortly after, the sad reality is that you are most likely going to be facing a lawsuit! Even if you win, the time and headache involved will take away any joy you had from the sale and leave you with a bitter feeling. Avoid this at any cost!
- You will no longer have to deal with the annoyance of mopping your floors after a rainfall.
- Even if your basement only gets wet once a year, the problem will only get worse and your basement wall will not fix itself! The problem(s) will not continue to be something that you can simply deal with and it will only worsen at a quicker rate and can end up costing you much more than you could have imagined.
- A crack(s) and a small amount of water now will eventually turn into a larger crack(s) with more water and structural issues. Your home is no exception. Act now!
Are you scared yet? Good! The sooner you get scared, the sooner you will act and the sooner you will provide your home and everyone in it the health and safety that they deserve.
Your basement is one of the most important structures in your home. It is a likely entrance for pests, water, moisture, gases, and mold. Homeowners don’t realize just how important the state of your basement can be as a wet basement can be the deal-breaker for any attempted sale of your home. Leaks occur as the water and moisture from outside the foundation manage to penetrate through to the interior through cracks or from hydrostatic pressure from under your home. . These cracks can be vertical, horizontal, and diagonal. Red flags should go up when you begin to see the latter two cracks as these can be structural issues. Not only are leaky basements aesthetically unpleasing and uncomfortable, but they can be a real hazard to you and your finances. Did you know that a fully protected basement can raise your property value by at least 25%? One way to protect your home is by waterproofing your foundation.
Ottawa is lucky to have a few foundation companies that have been around for several years and do great work. While many of their solutions are efficient, some are outdated and not nearly as effective as they were thought to be years ago. There are similar modern waterproofing products used by certain companies and OFC endorses any “new-school” product that keeps the benefits of the older methods while correcting their flaws to make sure that this is truly the last time you deal with this issue!
WE PUT THE PRO IN WATERPROOFING!
OFC uses the impenetrable combination of a commercial-grade rubber waterproofing compound with Platon damp-proofing when waterproofing your home.
Many waterproofing companies ONLY damp-proof your home. They do this by attaching a dimpled sheet known as “Platon” to your foundation walls. While Platon is an amazing membrane in combination with a true waterproofing compound, it is not enough when applied alone! The purpose of Platon is to shield your walls against any moisture in the soil and redirect it down towards the weeping tile. This application is effective but fails to fully protect your home overall as while the foundation walls are protected from leaks and cracks, the weeping tile system is left vulnerable to clogs and high pressure from the accumulated water. Platon is not intended to protect you from water that comes from under your home (hydrostatic pressure) or from the sides and is definitely not made for large amounts of water. The dimpled sheets surrounding the foundation walls can also be ripped by rocks and other debris and allow water to seep in through the walls. Furthermore, Platon is not meant to be stretched and will have trouble protecting from newly formed cracks when your home shifts or settles. In a city like Ottawa where we have many flood-prone areas, unfriendly soils, extensive rainy seasons, and damaging winters, Platon should rarely be used alone to protect your home.
To give you an example of using platon alone, it is similar to allowing burglars to come into your home and then catching them and kicking them out. But what if several burglars come in at once and you cannot catch them all? What if the burglar comes in from an entry point that you weren’t expecting?
Our commercial-grade rubber compound has all necessary features to make it very durable and properly protect your walls and footing. It has been used on billion-dollar commercial buildings across the globe and allows you to rightfully say that you properly waterproofed your home!
You shouldn’t settle for cheap, quick, “band-aid” fixes. Get rid of the problem at the source. Our product combination and installation method comes with a 25-year warranty and is our Guarantee to your walls will never let water in again!
A basement renovation in Ottawa is proven to be one of the best investments you can make for your family as well as your home. When it comes to creating and using space, the cost of a finished basement is less than 25% compared to building a home addition – That means a lot of extra space and money saved. It is the most cost effective way to add quality design and built space to your home. Ottawa General Contractors are an affordable basement renovation design-build contractors – A basement renovation cost in Ottawa is made quick and easy with a phone call or email – request a free quote or call now to speak with an estimator about finishing your basement.